Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 18, 2010

I’m trying to figure why it costs so much time and energy to write a book, and then finding out it costs a chunk of change even if you want to give it away. This is because the ISBN, or International Standard Book Number, that coded sequence of digits which identifies your book in a library, or at a book, store is available only for a fee. It looks now like I have to pay at least $125.00 to get an ISBN, just to give away the book. That amount is for one ISBN number; additional in a block of ten can be purchased for higher fees. I probably need a block of ten, as I plan the three books in The Tessera Trilogy, then a follow-on novel. I mention this as some of you may eventually want to write a book.

I think figuring out this system is like trying to train your dragon, or at least a chipmunk. I got around this little glitch by donating several CD copies to our regional library system, so they’ll catalog it somehow with their numbers, but I still need to figure out the ISBN process and see if I can find one for free. I’ll report on progress as life evolves in this Petri dish.

Right now I’m working to lay out my chapter outlines and rough characters/action flow for the second book. It features opposing groups who are simultaneously analyzing each other’s actions, motives and possible responses to take. This goes along with the necessity to develop the respective characters, and somehow keeping their actions interesting to potential readers. Doing this blog will force me to ensure that the pieces fit together neatly, and make sense.

The section above is a late entry, forgotten when I was cutting and pasting to the Blog.

Yesterday I was working on the third novel, Kashan Kashmeeri ©. I was converting the rough, very rough draft paragraphs from Times New Roman 12 pitch to Calibri 12, this in hopes that I don’t have a lot of conversion later. I was also renumbering the various Chapters and saving to archival folder so nothing is lost.

This work interrupted my feverish pursuit of an illusionary goal, losing some weight and getting in shape. My hope is that a fitter body will mean better mental acuity and thus a better book. Fat chance as they say in the movies! My father used to quote an old English adage, “If you wish to grow thinner, diminish your dinner…” This doesn’t seem to work well for me, as the spirit is far more willing that the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment