Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Blog Post 119

The hardest part is writing dialogue, especially for female characters.  Try as I might I struggle to get the lingo, thought pattern, and sensitivity correct.

David Baldacci has become my favorite author. His style is crisp, concise – he uses chapters (numbered simply) of no more than five pages. His viewpoint is somewhat different, with first, second and omniscient points of view. It works, so I may adopt that format.

Distractions – A High School classmate – 1962 Scarborough, Maine – came to visit.  Track … insensitivity of elected officials to needs of people … both Republicans and Democrats. His US Senator, Olympia Snowe, has said she won’t run again because system is broken.  And one percent own well over half of everything in the US.  I found out that ‘back in the day’ our little town had a whorehouse where apparently a few classmates worked.  There ought to be universal healthcare …
Moved one and a half tons of crushed rock to new patio area. Then the patio area was leveled, and pavers placed.

Have decided that a future series of detective novels deserve their own peculiar author. Watch for details as I put together the characters and storyline, and decide on a new pen name. As part of the research I’ll be attending parts of the 150th Anniversary festivities in Spotsylvania for our local Civil War. The whole weekend of re-enactments takes place May 1-4 here in Spotsylvania County. I am looking forward to finding some of the African-American re-enactors (23rd USCT) so I can research a minor part of an upcoming book.

There will be suttlers, dancers, musicians, preachers ... and you can for $75/person 'dine' with Lee and Grant; descendants of both will be talking. Several sites offer glimpses (for the historian buried deep within you) - Wilderness and Spotsylvania Reenactment ; www.civilwar.org ;Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania National Military Park (U.S. National Park Service) ; andwww.virginiacivilwar.org . The first novel of that future series will be Payroll Deduction


I want to thank fans of the Tessera Trilogy and my novels … Golden Gate and Sooley Base, especially family members those who asked how and where to buy Sooley Base, or said they would buy Sooley Base.  Memories of early sales  – “I saw "Golden Gate" listed on Amazon, but not the new one - should it be there?” “How do I get a copy of your book?”  and  “It’s mine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment